Monday 7 November 2011

WaterAid

'WaterAid is an international non governmental organisation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world's poorest communities.'


I really like the logo for WaterAid. Although it isn't really the same as what I have, it kind of is with the elements that have been used - just the text and the water drop. Seeing this now after my feedback for the packaging that we did where they had made the comment about the black not being pure, I do see where they are coming from more now, although I do get why it's used. I guess with it it all comes down to how you personally interpret it - even so, with this logo and the realisation, I feel reassured now about my decision to stick with just the blue. 

On the first page of the website, there is a section where you can 'choose a country' that they support, I had a quick look to see how big the list was, just to see what countries are in need.


I chose in the early stages of this project to focus my 'giving' on Africa, and even though the list here is quite long, I think I will stick with my decision to focus on it as it is the worst country for the problem.

There's a section of the website where they show all the celebrities involved with the charity - "WaterAid enjoys the support of a variety of TV and sporting celebrities, including those listed below." The list includes:
  • Lily Cole
  • James Cracknell
  • Camilla Dallerup
  • Adam Hart Davis
  • Helen Lederer
  • Cyrille Regis
I don't know if it's just me, and some people may be annoyed by this but I have no idea who any of these people are. I can see where they come from in terms of being proud of having celebrities involved, but at the end of the day I don't really think it proves anything. It definitely doesn't make me want to go out and support it just because they do. 

All over the website it's just full of images of kids and families from the countries with the water problems, some happy and some sad. This is the sort of imagery I want to avoid with what I'm doing as I don't want it to be some sort of guilt trip approach. Here's a couple from the section where you can download the images. When I clicked the link it said how they are subject to copywrite and must contact them if you want to use them for anything, so I figured I'd best make it obvious that the link I got them from is this - http://www.wateraid.org/uk/about_us/media_centre/photo_downloads/default.asp


I typed into Google 'WaterAid advertisements' to see what came up as I couldn't really find a section with them on on their actual website, here's what I found.






I didn't really come across anything too striking really. I quite like this bottom image, but couldn't see myself using it for what I want to do. Having simple, flat one colour illustrations may be a consideration to experiment with. Also, the 'proud sponsors or wateraid' thing is interesting too, and might be something I consider developing for people supporting the movement I'm developing to include with what they do.


No comments:

Post a Comment