Monday 7 November 2011

Water For Africa


Again, the point about the black (and grey in this case) not representing pure very well is the first thing I thought when I saw the logo for Water for Africa. On the header of their page the quote 'Give a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime', is there, and this is something that came up during my research into Toms over the summer. Whilst I totally agree with this quote, I still thing there should be some sort of short term solutions available for in the meantime, as installing water pumps doesn't exactly happen over night, and I think that because of this is what makes my idea quite strong as it is offering both a long and a short term solution to the problem.

I'm not really feeling this website though either, it all looks a bit too formal and serious. Yes I understand how serious the problem with dirty water is, but I don't even feel engaged enough to read further into the website - I have though for this research, but I was tempted at first to just avoid it. So because of this I need to ensure I get the right balance between serious and not serious looking to ensure I still get the desired engagement something like what I am setting up will need in order to exist and survive and actually make a difference. The link to the website is http://www.waterforafrica.org.uk/ 


As with the WaterAid website, there isn't really anything on there to show their campaigns that they have run, so I searched on Google to see what came up, although when I did it didn't really come up with anything. All the usual generic photos of kids in Africa came up drinking water and what not, but no sort of advertisements or anything for this charity. While it does probably save money for them to not advertise, I do think that what Charity: Water do is a lot more effective than not at all. 

Here's a quick screenshot of what came up when I searched:


An image that did come up though, although I don't think it has anything to do with this charity is this one below, I find it really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment